Friday, February 14, 2014

Double Consciousness


After reading chapter one of W.E.B DuBois book, I can totally see some of his struggles back then, as they are the same still to this day. Double Consciousness refers to the daunting task for African Americans bringing together their African heritage while living in an American upbringing. You would think, by now people would be able to be open and be themselves without punishment or being ridiculed by peers or the press.
Reading up on "Double Consciousness" I can relate to it from serving in the United States Air Force. There are many different ins and outs to the Airman being treated equal. I personally read a lot about the struggles that African Americans had as far as being successful in the military, and it was a shame. I am glad to see that times have changed and now you don't have to feel like you have a disadvantage for being black in the Military.
 After the law “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” was put in place in reference to gay couples, people were much more understanding. It is a shame how a gay, or bisexual person can’t be open with who they are. Me personally, I do not care, I always felt bad how some of my fellow Airman did not feel equal. I don't see how being gay will affect how they do the job.  At the end of the day if I am at war with someone it will not matter if you are gay, straight, black or white as long as we are there for each other.
So a little bit on the Michael Sam's case, which is the college football player that has announced to everyone he is gay. The media has been going off about this man for being gay. He is the first ever player to have publically announce that he is gay. Even though he is not the first gay person to come out of the closet he is the first to come out before their NFL career starts. I applaud him for having the courage to actually stand up for who he is and not play the role America puts on football players. He refuses to live that double life any longer. He came out and love it or hate it but at the end of the day he just wants to be treated like every one else and play football. He has been getting a lot of backlash from his comments even his own father came out publicly saying “I don’t want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment". If that is even coming from his own father you can see why most people are so afraid to be themselves. I am curious to see how much this will affect his draft value, only time will tell. When is it going to be enough? I hope this will give more people the courage to just be themselves not only with their sexual preference but with every thing down to race. Why must we still have to live double lives just to fit in? Its about time for our Generation to make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment