Friday, February 14, 2014

Double Consciousnesds



     Du Bois greatest contribution to the sociological field was his book entitled, The Souls of Black Folk where he talked about Double Consciousness. A double conscious is what Du Bois believed African Americans were bestowed with, because of the racial strife that existed in America. In his book Dubois stated, “the Negro is a sort of seventh son, born with a veil, and gifted with second-sight in this American world, a world which yields him no true self-consciousness, but only lets him see himself through the revelation of the other world, It is a peculiar sensation, this double consciousness, this sense of always looking at one’s self through the eyes of others, of measuring one’s soul by the tape of a world that looks on in amused contempt and pity. One ever feels his two-ness, an American, a Negro; two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warring ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn asunder (pg.38).” According to Du Bois to be an American is to be white. An African American in America is only as American as his skin color and white constituents allow him to be, meaning that the key to survival in America as a black man or woman is assimilation. We cannot be our true selves because according to the veil that Du Bois mentioned we are born with we are marked at birth, which allows for preconceived notions and discriminations by default.
              I can agree with Du Bois because being an African American woman in this society has not been an easy task. Before GSU I attended Bates College, a predominately white institution in the state of Maine which is also 98% white. The transition from a school where I was the majority to one where I was the minority was one of the most uncomfortable positions I was ever placed in. I shared a room with three girls who were also white and there is when I realized how assimilation would be the ultimate key to survival. I was scared to talk because I did not want them to think I could not speak proper English, I did not like having phone conversations with my family and friends while in my room, I did  not play my music out loud, and I was hesitant about having my black friends over. When and if ever I did carry a phone conversation in my room my friends would say, “Why are you talking like that or you must be in your room,” I felt like I could not be who I truly was in fear of being judge. I took it as far as lacking participation points in class because I would have to change my voice and think of a more expansive vocabulary so I would not stand out. Changing who you are is what Du Bois considered to be an act of a double consciousness. We become another person and it has been so embedded within us that we do not even realize when it is turned on or off, we are immune to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment