Thursday, April 24, 2014

Red Lobster's Cheddar Biscuits and Apple Sauce

 Ok here we go. Are you ready for this? My weird food combination is Red Lobster's famous cheddar cheese biscuits and ..... APPLE SAUCE!!!! That's right, apple sauce. Oh my goodness it is so good. I mean the cheddar biscuits are perfect on their own but the combination of the two together is unparalleled. What makes this a combo a match in Heaven is the contrast. You know what they say, opposites attract. The cheddar biscuits are salty to say the least. That's why we love them. They are packed with sodium and cheese which gives them a salty and starchy kind of taste to them and flavor that we crave. The apple sauce on the other hand has the almost exact opposite taste to it. Apple sauce is sweet with a hint of cinnamon in it. It’s also interesting because the biscuits are solids and the apple sauce is more of a liquid but it's not a liquid! (I think I am getting a little too excited about this topic) I like my apple sauce cold but that's just me. I like it cold because it balances out with the warmth of the cheddar biscuit. Let me set the scene for you.
                The red head Red Lobsters waitress places the basket of freshly made cheddar biscuits on your table that you have been yearning for ever since the aroma smacked you in the face when you first walked into the restaurant. You rush in to get the largest biscuit you see and then quickly realize how warm those biscuits actually are. You almost drop it on the table but somehow you hold your composure and gently place it on your plate. You look over to youre apple sauce, pick up a spoon and taste the sweetness of its content before you indulge in the meal that is cheddar biscuits and apple sauce. You pick up your biscuit and rip it into a fourth of a piece. Then you dip the piece into the apple sauce slowly. Why slowly, for dramatic effect of course. Now here comes the best part of the meal, you put the apple sauce covered piece of biscuit in your mouth. Your tongue starts to tingle. Your mouth begins to water. You start to see butterflies and unicorns. What is this feeling that I am feeling, you ask yourself. That, my friend, is the feeling of ecstasy throughout your mouth. (Not the drug but the other ecstasy)
                If you want to know how I stumbled across this pleasant combination, it’s because of my wonderful mother. It was totally by accident. Every year my grandmother celebrates her birthday at Red Lobsters. One year she drops a piece of her biscuit into the apple sauce and decides to take a chance and eat it anyway. She realized that it did not taste as bad as she thought it would and everyone else who tried it also enjoyed this new treat. Ever since then, we have been eating biscuits with apple sauce because it is delicious. We are so determined that when Red Lobster decided to stop serving apple sauce at their restaurants, we would bring our own apple sauce. Yes, it is that good. So the next time you’re at Red Lobsters eating those amazing cheddar biscuits, think of this story and imagine how much better it would be of you had some apple sauce with you. 

1 comment:

  1. I do this!!!! I've done this since I was a child and still love it.

    ReplyDelete