Thursday, April 24, 2014

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it


First off, I am a fiend when it comes to mixing leftovers up to make new dishes. Basically I hate to waste food. So that extra broccoli from two nights ago gets added to last night’s pot roast and potatoes and all of them get diced up and added into an omelet. Pretty normal stuff. Not terribly original but it works.

The second thing you should know is I’m not really an ice cream person. Sensitive teeth. So I like to make ice cream sundaes sans the ice cream. Most of the time I use a bowl of cereal as my base, usually Honey Nut Cheerios, and then pile on the toppings: banana, chocolate syrup, strawberries, nuts, and lots of whipped cream. And NO CHERRY! Those things are nasty. My husband pounds down cereal by the truckload each week so oftentimes I find my pantry out of stock of my regular sweet tooth fix. Enter spaghetti. Actually it was macaroni elbows but pasta is pasta. I had leftover noodles in the fridge, but none of my usual ingredients. I did however have some real maple syrup, a jar of pumpkin butter that was about to expire and whipped cream. 



Taking my cue from Buddy the Elf, I poured on the syrup but instead of M&M’s and marshmallows I added a couple of dollops of pumpkin butter, sprinkled it with chocolate chips, pecans and topped it off with LOTS of whipped cream. And then for good measure I added a bit of cinnamon. It was amazing! And I’ll explain why it makes so much sense.

Plain pasta is amazingly versatile. It’s basically just starch and has no preference in the battle of savory versus sweet. Rice, another simple starch, is a great example. Rice pudding is an internationally well-loved dessert and chicken and rice soup makes a nice change from typical chicken noodle. Or just think of the versatility of bread. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are just as popular as grilled cheese. (Actually I prefer almond butter and Nutella but that's besides the point.)

Then there is maple syrup. I’m not talking about the brown colored corn syrup Mrs. Butterworth calls syrup. I’m talking real Grade A maple syrup preferably from Canada. In my humble opinion maple syrup is the best product we can obtain from trees. (I mean who really needs shelter and oxygen?) And what do we usually put maple syrup on? Waffles. Pancakes. In other words starches. I will ignore for now the joy of maple bacon. (If you’ve never tried maple syrup on bacon or sausage you are not living a full life.)

Pumpkin butter is a truly amazing thing. Sweet and spicy and so holiday! My sister and mom actually sent me some from my favorite store in San Diego last year for my birthday. It’s smooth and sticky and spreads easily. It forms a wonderful “sauce base” for the noodles, getting into all the elbows.

Whipped cream. Need I say more? Well I’ll just say that the dairy fat helps balance out all the sugar so far adding some richness. And chocolate chips and pecans added a much needed textural component to all the soft ingredients. The judges on Chopped would be pleased. Finally, the dash of cinnamon just looks damn pretty. And of course it complements the spicy pumpkin butter very well.




By breaking this dish, which I will dub “Ode to Buddy”, down to its components, it makes so much sense why this works so well. I really don’t know how I never tried this before. But I urge you to head to the grocery store and get everything you need right now! You won’t be disappointed. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment